Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dear Luna. July 13.

I'm at the Burrow now. Left home yesterday. Took my stuff to the Burrow in the morning before saying "goodbye" to my parents last night.


I never actually said "goodbye." I just left. We were together, crying, and then, I was gone. And they don't even remember.

Lunca, I modified their memories!


My parents--upstanding, hard-working, well-respected leaders in their field--have, as a result of their memory modification, quit their jobs and left the country. I made them think that their life-long dream has been to move to Australia. I made them think that now, of all times, was their only chance to do so. In a week or two, I thought, they'd pack up and leave. But no. They left this morning. I apparated from the Burrow to home at 9 am to see what they were up to--wanted to make sure the jinx had worked--and they were already gone! I hurried to Heathrow--an airport near London...oh dear, it's where the muggles' flying vehicles land and take off--and asked around. They'd bought their tickets last night and flew out on a 6-am flight this morning. Shocked, I apparated over to their offices--they'd both called in last night, dazed, and announced that they were quitting. Just like that. No explanation. The poor secretaries were so confused--and growing increasingly worried about me, since I hadn't gone to the police and didn't know where my parents were--that I had to modify their memories as well!


So they're gone. You must be wondering why I'm so upset. I wanted them to go; I wanted them to get out of England to safety. And having lived at Hogwarts most of the time for the last six years, you'd think that being away from them would be no problem.


Well, Luna, here's what I haven't told you yet: They don't even know they have a daughter.


So they're gone, really gone. And I feel like a ship, lost at sea without a map, that has suddenly also lost its anchor.


I can't describe what it was like. We were sitting by the fire in the sitting room. I said, mum, I've got something to tell you and dad, and then made tea and sat down with them on the leather armchairs. And told them everything. Mum started protesting loudly when I said I was dropping out of school to help a friend fight the most powerful and wicked wizard of our time. Dad said nothing. Mum and I started arguing about it. It wasn't that she didn't believe me. "It's too dangerous," she kept saying, shaking her head. "You'll be killed!" She said it over and over. It didn't matter what I said or did. I showed them some spells, even. It was the first time I'd ever done that since I lost the trace. I showed them my patronus and explained how it would protect me from the dememtors; I showed them my textbooks and described how each spell would keep me safe. But Mum kept saying, "You'll be killed!"


Dad hadn't taken his eyes off me the whole time. He hadn't said anything, either. But now he suddenly spoke: "Tell us about your world," he said, with that brightness in his eyes that Mr. Weasley gets when I tell him about some new muggle technology. "What's it really like?"


So I told them. Everything. About the moving pictures and staircases, quidditch, the "Slug Club," Ginny&Harry, The Quibbler, the time-turner I had third year. I told them about Dumbledore's murder, Rita Skeeter, the Ministry, Wormtail, and Percy Weasley. I told them everything. We all started crying. I stood in front of the fire place, weeping, pacing, fingering my wand, and told them that one thing I can't tell even you. They stopped crying. And Mum asked the question--the one question I try not to think of--the question with the answer I fear more than anything--

And then I turned on them and said: "Obliviate."

Then I left them forever. Mrs. Weasley was waiting for me at the Burrow with a cup of earl grey with vanilla and steamed milk. We cried in the kitchen for half an hour.



I feel so guilty.

Hope you and your father are doing well.

Love,

Hermione

P.S. Ginny sent Horatio to Privet Drive with a letter about Lupin (he's asked Ron and me to call him "Remus" now that we're of age and no longer at school, but it's still really weird) and Tonks' wedding, but apparently Dudley say Horatio before Harry did and threw a rock at him (Horatio, not Harry). Thus, Horatio has been in convalescence the last few days, and I've sent Ginny's letter to you with Andromeda. Enjoy the joy in hers. I'm sorry there wasn't any in mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment